Saturday, August 21, 2010

Wall Art Plans

I haven't done much the past few days. Not much to blog about, anyway. Moved some furniture around to create some separation/flat space for a bar/sideboard in the dining room, shoved all the stuff that still needs to be unpacked in a corner, put some of my 90million books onto the empty DVD shelves until I get a real bookcase, stuff like that. I also got some supplies for my next art project.

I've been scouring for the perfect piece of artwork for above the bed. My bedding is cherry blossoms, which are a popular enough subject in artwork, but nothing was really right. It was too pink or too blue or too stylized or too prissy. My bedroom is mostly neutrals with pink accents. I didn't want to post this here because it's a terrible picture, but I want to illustrate. Man those iPhones may be smart but they take AWFUL pictures. Anyway, here's my bedroom:

See? So anyway, I started thinking ... I want something simple, right? And I can DO simple! All I want is a branch with some cherry blossoms, similar to the design on the bedspread and pillows. Then I found this tutorial on making 3D flowers out of Sculpey. In my head, it's so simple. Draw and paint a branch on canvas (wish I could just put it directly on the wall but it's a rental ...), make these flowers, find a way to affix them to the canvas, voila! Mixed media art. So today I got the canvas, the paint, brushes, and some Sculpey. We'll see what happens.

Beyond that, for the living room I am currently on the hunt for the perfect damask fabric in funky colors to put on stretcher frames for the living room. I used to be pretty good at stretching canvas in high school-- way better than I was at actually painting on it-- so hopefully it'll be a simple enough project.

You know, once I finally find the fabric.

I've also been collecting some plates to rip off emulate SB The Clueless Homeowner's plate collage. I got four during the big tax-free weekend sales at Crate & Barrel last weekend, and then two more on major clearance at CB2.

C&B finds. Couldn't find them on the website so I took a picture. Rest assured these are just laid out on my table. My spatial relation skills are far better than this picture implies!


CB2 plates, which will be here soon I hope! Takeout appetizer plate and Compliment salad plate



Well, guess I had more to talk about than I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment