Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Can't always get what I want? WHY!?

I was catching up on my pal Sarah's excellent blog, The Clueless Homeowners today and she had a post from a few days ago that really encapsulated a lot of the frustrations I've been feeling with pulling together the look(s) that I want with the apartment.

The bane of my existence has been finding cheap square white frames. If I wanted to spend $10-20 a frame, I would just buy something already put together and be done with it. I know Ikea has them for $5, but something just didn't seem ... right about them to me. I had this image in my head of four 5x5 slightly off-white frames and it seemed that I should be able to get them for about $5 each anywhere I chose. Just a white square frame. No mat. No shadowbox. No glued on hearts or tiaras or teddy bears. From CVS to Target to BB&B. I should be spoiled for choice with inexpensive plain white square frames!

Instead I looked. I scoured. I decided maybe the Ikea ones weren't too far off from my vision and I could just get them on my next trip there in a couple of weeks. And this happens to me a LOT. I get fixated on something I think should be so simple (I once spent two weeks looking for a skinny red patent leather belt. IT SHOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN THAT LONG. Don't even get me started on a good black cardigan.) and then find myself tearing my hair out, considering paying 5x what I originally thought I'd pay just because it's now become an obsession. A crusade. A red patent leather cardigan FRAMED IN A $%&*#@ SIMPLE WHITE SQUARE FRAME crusade.

But then. THEN! A ha! Enter Christmas Tree Shops! Oh the choir sang and the heavenly light filtered down, mingling with the harsh, buzzing fluorescent bulbs. BEHOLD!





Brothers are always good for a smile!


Er. Hang on. Let's try that again. BEHOLD!





white frame


See? Aren't they perfect? And $2.99! I'm a sucker for a sweet bargain. That's half the fun for me, putting together a (hopefully, anyway) classy-looking place on as little cash as possible, without settling for less than my vision of How It Should Look.

In update-y type news, I finally got around to putting that scrolly green paper with the yellow background into the big white frame. A month to get around to doing it and 45 minutes to actually complete it. Go figure.





final frame


I'm really pleased with how it came out. So much so that now I'm on the fence about "wasting" that gorgeous frame in the bathroom. But I don't have anything else to put in it right now so for now it'll go in the bathroom.

Now let's play "What has Flann blown her money on this week?"



Bedding: Pem America "Zen Blossom" from Macy's. On sale for $89.99 through August 15!

Lenox "Chirp" placemats from Macy's. On sale for $6.99 through August 15!

Lenox "Chirp" napkins from Macy's. On sale for $4.99 through August 15!

Custom 12"x16" pillow covers from This Little Home on Etsy. Haven't seen them yet, but the prices are reasonable, the fabrics are gorgeous, and the seller is very pleasant and accommodating!

I'll surely update again as things arrive. Also finally getting the last dressers and the nightstands this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to show off a completed room soon!

Well, aside for artwork. Don't even get me started on wall art.

No comments:

Post a Comment